A 20 Gb/s-based soliton wavelength division multiplexed (WDM) transmission experiments using periodic dispersion compensation and dispersion slope compensation were demonstrated. Accumulated dispersion slope was compensated with two methods. The first method was periodical individual dispersion compensation. By using this technique, 60 Gb/s (20 Gb/s × 3 WDM) transmission over 8000 km was demonstrated. The second method was the use of a dispersion-flattened transmission fiber. 160 Gb/s (20 Gb/s × 8 WDM) transmission over 4000 km using periodically dispersion compensated dispersion-flattened fiber was also demonstrated.
- Dispersion-flattened fiber
- Optical fiber communications
- Optical soliton transmission
- Periodic dispersion compensation
- Wavelength division multiplexing (WDM)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics