This letter presents a general model for the performance of spatial-division-multiplexing systems using self-homodyne detection. The model is applicable to single and dual polarization square M-quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) signals, assuming arbitrary signal and pilot tone optical signal-to-noise ratios. Its validity is demonstrated using a seven-core multicore fiber link with quadrature phase shift keying and 16-QAM signals, comparing the performance of self-homodyne detection with intradyne detection.
- Spatial-division multiplexing (SDM)
- multi-core fibers (MCF)
- self-homodyne detection (SHD)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering